Thursday, December 18, 2014

December's 10 Questions

I saw these questions over on PONY'TUDE's Blog
and they looked like fun, so I thought I'd answer them too.

1. What size horse do you prefer to ride?
16 Hands, or as close to it as possible.  I am a weenie and no longer like to ride bigger horses.  The larger stride scares me. Although I rode the barn owner's 20 hand Shire and felt just fine.
Objects in the crossties are larger than they appear.
2. Do you school in tall boots, or paddock boots and half chaps?
I am all paddock boots and half chaps. One, because I am budget concious.  I have a nice pair of Ariat tall boots that fit me really well and only come out for shows. Two, I hate breeches <there, I said it> and much prefer to ride in jeans, which fit under half chaps well, but tall boots not so much.
Jeans, half-chaps and hair down... The Horror!
3. What do you do with ribbons after shows?
Throw them in a bin in the basement. Or throw them out. I strangely have no real attachment to them.

4. Do you ride/board at a large show barn, or a small private barn?
I ride at a large non-private, non-show barn.  I love my barn.  There is a mix of disciplines, from Mounted Shooting to Dressage.  We have a range of horses - Thoroughbreds, Standardbreds, QHs, Draft-crosses, a Haflinger, some WBs, 2 Shires, a TWH, a POA pony and a partridge in a pear tree.  Seriously.  We have partridges.  Ok, we don't have a pear tree.
My mounted shooting friend... how cool is that?

5. Have you ever seen a horse give birth?
Nope, I did assist in a live cover breeding though. So I was there for the conception part.

6. What is your favorite breed?
I would have to say Thoroughbreds are my favorite breed.


7. Favorite tack brand?
I don't have one. Function over form. Budget dictates most of my purchase decisions, so it has to be affordable and reliable.

8. Would you ever buy used tack?
Yes, my saddle is a used Black Country Quantum that was flocked to fit my horse. I have an schooling bridle that I bought at a consignment shop that I use for lunging, taking Boca swimming and to duct tape antlers onto.
"Hello human, you may adore me and my ridiculous antlers now."

9. Have you ever been on a carriage ride?
I was a licensed carriage driver in NYC.  I drove in Central Park, Columbus Circle, Times Square and Rockefeller Center among others.  I also jogged Standardbreds in my younger years.

10. How often do you go to the tack store?
Not as often as I would like to, but more often than I should.  Both Smartpak and Dover are less than an hour away.

4 comments:

  1. Wow Smartpak and Dover???? Cool!!!!!!!

    Also you were a licensed carriage driver? That is so awesome!! I'm glad you answered these. It was really interesting!

    I want to try mounted shooting!!! Does she use earplugs on the horse? If she does what is she using?

    I giggled over the partridge thing. That's so cool that you have them hanging around. :)

    Also that shire is gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a carriage driver, and it was awesome! One of the best jobs I ever had. I even had a couple get engaged in my carriage!

      Mounted shooting is super cool. Her horse is a finished mounted shooting horse. No earplugs, he knows his job and is very good at it. He was purpose-bred and trained to be a mounted shooting horse.

      Delete
    2. No earplugs? Can that not damage their hearing?? I do range shooting with my husband and we always have to wear earplugs at the range. Thanks for the info! I'll do a Google search and see if I can find what people use as earplugs. Thanks for reminding me about it. I've meant to look it up for a long time but I'm never at a computer when I think about it hehe.

      Delete