Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Guesswork

Buying a horse with no history is a big gamble.  
When I made the decision to buy Boca, I was basically rolling the dice.

Hello, Human. Who are you?
In yesterday's post, I mentioned I had some guesses as to the 
7 year blank period in Boca's life.

My guesses were (are) as follows:
1) Pasture Ornament
2) Backyard Trail Horse
3) Yahoo-Cowboy "Handy Broke" Western horse
some combination of the above.

Move along, Human. Nothing to see here.

When I got Boca home and started working with him/riding him, there were some clues that gave me the guesses formed above. Here are a few of the things that I found.
- He didn't have the muscle tone or balance to stand on 3 feet when I picked his hooves.  He would lose his balance and fall over within seconds.
- When I put on an english bridle and fastened the noseband, he almost sat down in surprise
- There were no holes in his hooves from nails. No evidence he had ever been shod.
- When the farrier nailed on his back shoes, he did sit down in surprise.
- His mane lay perfect -- on the left side of his neck. I had read somewhere online that many horses used for roping have manes trained over to the left, as most people are right-handed.
Mane so perfect - except on the "wrong" side.


- He hated to be stalled. Our barn has 10-12 hour turnout daily. The stalls are all 14x12. I have lived in apartments in NYC that were smaller (and not as nice).

But most importantly, this horse was not ring broke.
The horse I now owned had no steering. You could not touch his mouth.  He did not have any idea how to give to pressure.  
Leg = Go.

I think Boca's "training" to this point could best be summed up by this post written on Fugly Horse:


4 comments:

  1. He sounds a lot like my QH which I also picked up from a horse dealer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm yes... "handy broke" western horses present some interesting training challenges! LOL

      Delete
  2. From those clues I'm guessing definitely a combination! I can't wait to see what you do with him. Looking forward to comparison posts/pictures/videos. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my guess too! His breeder was happy to hear he was being used. She said many horses in that area end up sitting around as pasture ornaments.

      Delete