Sunday, December 21, 2014

Lessons are Awesome

There is a saying out there that
"You Can't Fix a Broken Mind with a Broken Mind".*

I am educated enough as a rider to know when things don't exactly feel right, but often what I lack are the tools to correct them.

Yesterday's lesson provided a few more tools to help address issues I am feeling but didn't know how to correct. 

My instructor introduced the Shoulder Fore exercise as a way to start to learn how to control different parts on Boca's body.  The Shoulder Fore will increase Boca's strength, suppleness and straightness.

Also, we worked on a 5 meter circle, getting him to step under himself prior to asking for the canter. 

Boca tried really, really hard, without getting angry. At the end, he had one transition into the canter with so much balance and power. It was all I had hoped for and so much more.

He was only able to hold it for one stride, but I was so excited by what I felt.  I threw a giant party right there on his back, patting him over and over and telling him what a great boy he was.

Lessons - I tell ya - they're awesome.

*PS.  The broken mind I am trying to fix with a broken mind is my own.

1 comment:

  1. Awww this makes me soooo miss my lessons! I can't wait until we can start taking them again. I'm glad you're learning more tools to correct the issues you're feeling.

    ReplyDelete