Tuesday, December 23, 2014

My Heart Dog

Before there was Boca, there was Jersey, my heart dog.
 
 
Back in 2012, before I was married, before we even owned a house, I started bugging my future hubby for a dog. Like many horse lovers, I am also a dog lover, and had always wanted a dog of my own.


At the time, I had my eye on a particular dog on Petfinder named Jellybean. Jellybean had been looking for a home for quite some time. For months, all my then-boyfriend heard was "Jellybean...Jellybean....Jellybean."
In April of 2012, future hubby and I got engaged and closed on a condo. The pressure was on. I pestered him day and night about getting a dog.


That face!
My husband happens to be the more practical one of us.
He pointed out that with a houseful of new furniture in various stages of being delivered, and his busy season at work just starting to ramp up, that it would be best to wait until
December to adopt a dog.

"Why you bother me, lady?"
Now, I'm not sure how much I believe in things we can't perceive, but the following story is, at the very least, a bit odd, and also entirely true.

On Saturday, May 19, 2012, my fiance came upstairs, where I was getting ready to head out to run some errands. He told me there was a local Greyhound adoption group that was having an open house that day, and did I want to go?

I looked at him like he had grown a second head, and made sure I spoke slowly so that he had full comprehension
"You know...if we go today...we are coming home...with a dog."

He did agree, in sound mind, that we were most likely bringing home (or at least planning to bring home) a dog that day. So off to the kennel we went.


Those ears!
On the way to the kennel, my husband told me that the night before, he had a dream that we adopted a greyhound. When he woke in the morning, he turned on the tv. The local news was running a story on a greyhound adoption group that was holding an open house that day. Co-incidence???

We arrived at the kennel and there were at least 15-20 dogs in runs. There were 2 adoption coordinators there to answer questions and take out dogs for us to interact with. I can complicate the most simple of decisions, but choosing a dog to bring home with you FOR LIFE is a little like walking into a bar and choosing a random man to be your husband.

Luckily, my husband is not so complicated.
The 3rd or 4th run on the left had a smaller, daintly looking dog lying on his bed with his front paws crossed.  He was brindle and white, with an eyepatch over one eye and one brown ear.
Mugshot. Convicted of being cute.
When the coordinator took him out of his run, he immediately sat in my lap for butt scratches. The coordinators said "Oh that one is a Galgo" which went completely over my head, as I had never heard the term before.  They explained he was not an American Greyhound, but a Galgo Espanol, a different breed altogether. He was from Spain, and had just arrived in the US two weeks prior.

My husband liked his eye patch, and the fact that he was smaller than the American Greyhounds. I was just happy to have a dog, any dog, to call my own. So with that stellar informed decision-making, we decided to adopt him. I tried to inject some logic into the process. The following weekend was Memorial Day, and I would be home for 3 days - plenty of time to bond with the new dog. I offered to come back and get him the following weekend, but the coordinators assured us that getting him used to our routine right away was best.

And so, that very day, Jersey came home with us.

Spoiled rotten.
Jersey is, and continues to be, my heart dog.
I hope he is with us for a long, long time.

3 comments:

  1. Great story! It was meant to be. He's is totally adorable!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! Jersey is so adorable. He looks so happy to have found a family and home with you and your hubby. I believe there’s a reason that he came into your life. He looks so comfortable, maybe because he feels how happy you are that he is with you. Thanks for sharing that, Shauna! All the best to you and your family!

    Ashley Ziegler @ SF Hound Lounge

    ReplyDelete