Monday, December 8, 2014

TOA Blog Hop: History of the Horse, Part I

This blog hop is timely, as it gives me a chance to share with you the back story on Boca.


I purchased Boca on May 27, 2014.  I bought him from a small horse dealer in Southeastern Massachusetts, known for having mostly western broke, kind, backyard type horses. I'm a sucker for chestnut geldings with chrome, so his ad caught my eye.

I went down to take a look at him. He seemed to be as represented; 15.3h easy-going chestnut gelding. I was impressed when, during my test ride, the owner's 8 year old grandson roared by on his quad runner, chased by his heeler, while an 18-wheeler unloaded its cargo nearby.


Floppy Ammy-ness

An extra selling point was when the 8 year old climbed on and cowboy'ed him around, chased by his heeler. This horse was SANE.  And I wanted sane.


video


Standing on horse - always a selling point.

Still, I wasn't sure. He was only the 2nd horse I had looked at. But with my budget (slim to none), I knew I'd be getting a project.  I knew I would get sound, sane, or broke, but not all 3.

I decided to schedule a PPE and hoped it would determine, one way or another, if this little red horse was going to come home with me.

The PPE revealed more positive traits. We took the red horse away from his little herd, and trotted him up an down the tarmac parking lot - again I marveled at how good his brain was. We lunged him in a circle in both directions. He passed his flexions with flying colors. The last hurdle to overcome was x-rays of both front feet, to rule out any navicular changes.

Here is where the rubber met the road.  Pony had some SERIOUS side bone. Even the vet was impressed.


I hemmed, I hawed. I googled side-bone.  I closed my eyes and prayed.
The vet, the dealer, and my two friends stood around as I tried to figure out what to do.
This horse was not going to hang around the dealer's lot long. In this price range, most buyers would probably not even bother with a PPE. In fact, I think the dealer thought I was a little insane.

I basically said "What the Hell." I told the dealer he had a sale.  I made arrangements for the red horse to ship the next day to the barn where I would board him.


To Be Continued...



5 comments:

  1. Evil cliffhanger! I look forward to learning more about your pretty boy! Welcome to the blogging world!! You will have it figured out in no time and you're a great writer. I'm following!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind words! Glad to hear you are following! It is lonely getting started :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually don't know anything about sidebone. Would be curious to see your research in a blog post sometime. He moves super cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll probably do a separate post about it at some point. It is common in the draftier breeds. Far less common in the lighter breeds, especially such a large, significant ossification.

      Delete
  4. The brain really is the most important part. Boca is adorable!

    ReplyDelete