Monday, February 23, 2015

Exciting News

Guess who has some exciting news?

Sunday Winter Selfie
 
Saturday was my appointment at the super awesome barn.
I met the Barn Owner for a tour of the farm and to learn more about the opening.
 
First, I have to say that I really liked the BO. She and her husband purchased the property 4 or 5 years ago, and have since made extensive improvements. She works a regular 9-5 job, in addition to running the farm and managing her own 4 horses.
 
The available stall is in the front barn, which is their rough board/co-op barn. Each boarder is responsible for their own horse, plus (1) turnout or turn in shift per week. The open shift for the incoming boarder will be the Sunday PM shift.
 
Turnout is in individual paddocks and is usually 10 hours, weather permitting.
This is excellent for Boca - he likes to be out as much as possible.
 
Boarders have full use of the facility. This includes the indoor with premium footing, the outdoor with lights and jumps, and the dressage ring. Hacking is also permitted in 2 grass fields and there is a seasonal outside course set up in one of the grass fields.
 
The farm is on the same trail system that I am currently on. There are actually 5 or 6 barns in the area that are all connected by these trails.
 
The barn is multi-discipline. Boarders are welcome to bring in their own trainers, vets, farriers, ect. Current boarders ride hunter/jumper and dressage. There is even a guy who boards his appaloosa and rides western. :)
 
There is free trailer parking and a no drama policy.
 
The cost difference between the new barn and my current barn is $44.00/month.
 
I decided that I would take the stall. I worked out a deal with another co-op boarder. She will do Boca's stall and hay/grain set up Monday - Friday. I will pay her a day rate for 3 days a week, and in exchange will do her mare's stall and set up on Saturdays and Sundays.
 
My plan is to give 30 days notice at my current barn this weekend.
My hope is that, if I leave on good terms, I am leaving the door open to return,
if for some reason things don't work out at the new barn.
 
I will be sad to leave all the people I truly enjoy at my current barn.
But at the end of the day, I am in this to enjoy myself and also to try to ride and improve.
 
I hope Boca will be as happy at the new place as he is at the current one.
 
But you know how the old saying goes
"Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained."


8 comments:

  1. sounds like you thought it out and did a throrough investigation. Good luck with the move. It sounds like a fabulous place

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exciting! Sounds like a good fit :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like it has awesome areas to ride!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great plan. :-) Moving can be hard, but good on you for knowing when to jump ship.

    Also wicked jealous of those trails.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really exciting news! I bet you will be happy with your decision

    ReplyDelete
  6. super exciting! change like that can be really scary or overwhelming, but it seems like you've done your homework and come up with conditions that will work out nicely. good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like a really great opportunity and I'm sure that you'd be welcomed back to your old barn if things don't work out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best of luck with the move, new barn sounds fab. Plus of the trails are still interconnected with your old barn ya'll can meet up for fun outings together on the trails ☺

    ReplyDelete