Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Don't Call Him A Cowboy Until You've Seen Him Ride

" 'Cause a stetson hat and them fancy boots don't tell you what's inside, no
And if he ain't good in the saddle, Lord, you won't be satisfied
So don't call him a cowboy, until you've seen him ride..."

Sorry, where were we?  I got distracted. Oh, right! Cowboys.
Specifically, I have a cowboy getting on Boca tomorrow night!

Ok, so he is actually a guy from Connecticut. But he rides western and wears jeans, so that kind of qualifies him as a cowboy, right? A New England cowboy?


Say What, Crazy Lady???
 
How this all came about is that there is an instructor at my barn who has a large young warmblood that she is in the process of starting under saddle. She has a young rider come out and help her work with her young horse. By all accounts, he is a fabulous rider and a tactful horseman.

In our lesson on Sunday, we attempted a canter in Boca's easier direction. We had the same porpoising, flailing, bucking and running that we had last year, where we left off.

The general consensus has always been that Boca just needs to get stronger, fitter and more coordinated, not that it is a pain issue or that he is a problem child.

I am pretty much the only person who has ridden Boca consistently since I owned him.
A different/stronger/more skilled set of feet in the irons is never a bad thing!

I would love to find out how much is me, how much is him, how much is the two of us.
The bonus is I will get to finally get some video & pics for my blog!

And so, tomorrow night, Boca will meet the cowboy.

Aww Hell No!

PS - IT WASN'T THE FRINGE ON THE CHAPS.

Sigh. Horses.
 


8 comments:

  1. Exciting! Love to see pros ride my horse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dating a real honest-to-goodness cowboy myself, I just loved the opening quote :)
    Looking forward to the pics and video!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome!

      The opening quote is actually lyrics to a great old song by Conway Twitty :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4KHBOFjUuY

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a most excellent plan! I love getting a second opinion from the saddle occasionally. A good cowboy can be a very useful asset.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good luck - hope it goes well!! i have a biomechanics pro coming to ride my horse this weekend and can.not.wait to see how it goes!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. good luck. I can't wait to hear how it goes

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope it goes well. I also hope that the "cowboy" shows up looking like that minus the wanna-be looking hat/add a real one. Because let's face it, that would be awesome ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope all goes well, I love having more experienced people ride my horses. They aren't the only ones who learn & benefit from the experience!

    ReplyDelete