Thursday, April 23, 2015

Endoscopy Wrap Up

I didn't really go into detail, but I got to play veterinary assistant yesterday for Boca's endoscopy. The vet's normal assistant wasn't available, so she asked me if I would mind stepping in to help her.
 
Me assisting in a veterinary proceedure, 2008
 
Equine medicine was almost a career path for me 7 years ago.
I find the medical stuff facinating, so I was happy to help.
 
I have to say, of the many, many horses I have assisted medically, Boca was one of the more uncooperative patients. Because of his equine hysterics, the vet opted to give him a healthy dose of sedative. He was literally stumbling drunk, but he was fighting mad and still alert. Getting the scope up his nose was a bit of a struggle. Turns out Mr. Boca is a belligerant drunk.
 
This calls to mind a story his breeder told me about his name. Boca's registered name is Hancock's Tuff. As a foal, there was some medical complications with his dam; I forget exactly what they were. In any case, baby Boca must not have been a model patient then either, earning him the name Tuff.
 
Don't mess with me, man.
 
After the endoscopy was over, and I was rooting through my purse for my checkbook, the vet was bent over in the aisle, cleaning up her equipment. I heard a yelp and an "Ouch".
 
Someone (not naming any names) apparently reached over their stall gate and bit the vet in the head to express their displeasure over the whole proceedure!
 
I was framed!

The Ulcergard is on order. I bought 24 tubes, so I will be doing the max dose as long as possible, then tapering off.

Thank you all for your suggestions and comments!  They were super helpful and very much appreciated!
 
 


7 comments:

  1. Omg his face is so innocent! CAn't believe he bit the vet, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!!! What a little stinker. In the 11 months I have owned him, he has never, to my knowledge, bit anyone!

      Delete
  2. Boca was simply expressing his emotions at a level he thought that the vet would understand. Poor wee mite. I would never believe that he would do anything bad except under extreme provocation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cheeky chappie but oh em squee the cuteness in his baby pic ♡
    Wishing him a full & speedy recovery

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg naughty boy!! hopefully he'll be feeling a little less bite-y once his tummy is all better haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure if he looks innocent or proud...either way, he's still adorable!

    ReplyDelete