Friday, May 1, 2015

Fake It Till You Make It

 
Last night I had a fantastic ride, where I focused on FORWARD and STRAIGHT and not getting caught up in the placement of his head.
 
Before my friend's advice the other night, I had been getting too caught up in fixing everything in the bridle, when Boca pulls his cracked-out-llama imitation (aka his favorite evasion). If I continue to focus on forward and straight and don't get baited into fiddling in the bridle, his head fixes itself.  Wonders never cease.
 
 

Also, we completed TWO full 20-meter circles in each direction at the canter, with NO bucking, leaping, sunfishing or breaking.  I can feel us each getting stronger and stronger.
 
I have a lesson tonight and can't wait to show off our progress. I brought my camera and video camera and hope to coerce someone into taking media of some sort.
 
I'm really happy with my little red horse and feel like we're really getting somewhere.
I know someday we're going to put it all together and its going to be awesome.
 
 
Until then, I'll just enjoy where we're at.


8 comments:

  1. Woohoo, I'm often told to ignore the head plcement and focus on forward and straight & like you I notice the head position sorts itself 9 times out of 10.
    I hope all goes awesome with the lesson & you can find someone for media ☺☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. he looks so fancy and proper in all his tack :) yay for good rides too! i'm always amazed when a trainer starts harping on my position and balance and whatnot and while i'm busy focusing on that, isabel magically sorts herself out into a lovely way of going haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's looking great! Raising my hand as another who fiddles with the bridle :) Amazing how forward and straight takes care of that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woohoo! We love straight and forward :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds awesome! I too struggle with wanting the perfect head set... forward and straight is the ticket :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so easy to get caught up in what's going on in front of you (ie, head and neck) when often the solution is behind you (ie more forward, with impulsion from the hindquarters)!

    ReplyDelete