Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Positive Rides - What Could it Mean?

 
Saturday and Monday I had two positive rides in H's majikal saddle of bliss. Swoon.
 
I kept the rides super short and easy - just w/t on Saturday and w/t + a few canter transitions on Monday. My whole focus on the ride was just to keep Boca happy, and that was acheived. No ear pinning, kicking out, gaping mouth, running, etc.  He actually just bopped around, ears up, kind of pokey. I felt like his hindquarters were trailing out behind him, and it probably wasn't much to look at, but two rides without dramatics and a happy pony were the objective.
 
His back also seems less reactive in general - less reaction upon palpation, and no longer in the spots under where my saddle panels sit.
 
What the hell does this all mean?
 
I have two theories.
 
1) My saddle does not fit, causing back soreness.
 
2) Back soreness is secondary/compensatory to some other issue (arthritis, hocks, stifles, hip) etc. And my saddle could be exacerbating things.
 
Our appointment with the sports medicine vet is tomorrow. I also have the contact info for a local saddle rep dealing in high-end used saddles, y'know, just in case. :)
 
I'm feeling much more positive, and like we're closer to figuring things out.
#IbelieveinBoca
 


7 comments:

  1. I am so, so happy to hear that you've had two rides without theatrics! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great news! Nothing better than a positive ride :) I'm looking forward to hear the vet's thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a couple of non-theatrical rides! Interested to hear what the vet has to say. I believe in Boca too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hearing about great rides! #Ibelieveinboca

    ReplyDelete
  5. #ibelieveinBoca!!! good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's great that it went well but I would be cautious as you had this before with Boca. Not to be a Negative Nancy, I do want it to be the saddle and then all resolved. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yah! It's nice to have a bit of hope. Good luck with the appointment.

    ReplyDelete