Thursday, June 11, 2015

90 Days

In the world of getting sober, 90 days is a big deal.
 
In many recovery programs, making it to 90 days is a landmark.
I got sober in New York City. In the fellowship I was a part of,
making it to 90 days was celebrated in different ways.
 
The group I belonged to had a unique tradition of doing a rose ceremony.
At the end of the month, anyone who had achieved 90 days sobriety that month was presented with a rose, marking that achievement.
 
I celebrated my 90 days with a giant hot fudge sundae, cause that's how I roll.
 
 
You're probably wondering what the heck any of this has to do with horses or riding.
 
I'm sharing this with you because I have decided to put Boca on a 90 day timeline.
I have done absolutely everything within my means to get him to a point where he is comfortable physically.
 
Now, he gets the chance to show me what he's made of. He needs to meet me halfway.
I figured that 90 days was a fair amount of time to begin to show progress. For us to start having fun again.
 
My 90 days timeframe ends August 31, 2015. I plan on keeping a training journal documenting every lunge and every ride between then and now. I'm going to be taking weekly lessons with a trainer that specializes in re-hab, conditioning, etc.
 
Not only does she ride, she trains and she also is a vet tech at one of the best equine hospitals in the region.
 
I'm giving Boca every opportunity to succeed in this career.
The stopwatch has been pressed.
 
 
 



10 comments:

  1. That sounds like a fantastic plan. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is so evident that you are trying your heart out for this horse. i hope that - whatever happens - you can start having fun again and make the decisions that are right for you and the horse! good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great plan. Also, I feel like you should celebrate highs and lows with chocolate sundays... because delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this plan.

    If I'd change anything, it would be to set (in conference with your trainer) some realistic, concrete SMART goals (uh... Measurable, Achieveable, R something and Time bound, you know) so you have a solid idea of what's going on.

    Fingers crossed for you guys. Whatever happens, you're making good decisions and taking care of both of you, and that's most important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea! We have our first lesson Sunday. I'm going to mention this to her!

      Delete
  5. I like a girl with a plan.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Plans are my jelly jam. I always feel better with a plan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely plan. It always makes me feel better if I set a time limit for things, I wish I had handled Apollo's lameness better...it went on forever in limbo haha

    ReplyDelete