Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Dope on a Rope

Boca's rehab is proceeding just about as well as it can go. I keep knocking on wood and trying not to jinx myself, but I just have a good feeling all around about this one.

Dr. C came yesterday to take out Boca's stitches, and as an added bonus, palpated his back. Even with applying as much force as he could manage, Dr. C was unable to make Boca uncomfortable. Dr. C said the surgery really is remarkable and that this result is typical. An immediate cessation of pain on a previously significantly back sore animal.

We continue stall rest and hand walking for two more weeks. As a bonus, I've lost a few pounds with all this walking. Silver linings all around.

video

Here I am, hand walking my wild beast. We have started going for neighborhood walks to utilize the steep hills. Yep, it was 40 degrees and windy, and he's flat walking in a halter and lead - no chain needed. Although moments before, we startled a giant wild turkey, and it leaped up and ran away. Boca spooked in place, then reached over and nipped me. Clearly it was my fault for not keeping him safe from turkeys.

7 comments:

  1. that's so incredible that he's already doing so well!!! also - lol at that little nip haha, i feel like that's something my mare would do too

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha! fail as a bodyguard! Glad that he's doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, Boca! What a good boy. He is a rockstar for being so calm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so glad to hear he continues to do well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Glad he is continuing to do well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL he told you for not protecting him properly!! Too funny. I'm so glad he's doing so well! That's amazing how he can have zero pain just like that. What a wonderful surgery. That's going to make a huge difference in a lot of horses' lives. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Next time don't forget the turkey repellent. Glad to hear that everything continues to go so well.

    ReplyDelete