Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Re-XRay and Vet Conversations

So a little over a week ago, Boca got the all clear to return to work. I thought it might be fun to share the images of the re-X-ray with you, and include the conversations via email with the 2 vets that were involved.

For perspective, here was the original X-ray, taken sometime in Feb 2016:


Below is the current X-ray, taken 4/8/16 and the ensuing email conversations with Dr. C., my sports medicine vet and Dr. Garcia-Lopez, the surgeon from Tufts.



Dr. C. to Dr. Garcia (4/12/16):
"Hey man, The horse is doing very well and I was really pleased with the images. Shauna would love to hear from you about how to proceed. I told her to lunge him with the saddle a few times and then start riding, but you may have a more formal program to give her. If not, I can supply her with one. Hope all is well."
 
 
Dr. Garcia to Dr. C (4/12/16):
"Hi E---, I am really happy as well. There is mild reactivity and a very nice amount of space in between the DSPs. I would like to have 1 week of lunging with the saddle on before getting back under saddle. Since you have seen him and have a better sense of his musculature across the topline, I would be happy to go with your recommendations moving forward. I don't want to make generic recommendations at this point and taking it either too fast or slow. Any questions of course let me know. But I would expect this guy to do great!"
 
 
Dr. C to Me (4/16/16):
"Hi Shauna, I just realized that you may not have heard anything from Dr. Garcia. I was in contact with him and he is delighted with how the radiographs look. He was in agreement with our proposed approach, which was to lunge with the saddle for about a week and then slowly resume ridden work. There is no exact template for this -- basically, you should listen to him and proceed as he gets stronger. Obviously warmup is important and it may be useful to lunge him for a while before riding, until he gets fitter. You can exercise at all three gaits, if he is willing. He would probably benefit from a rest day after he is ridden for three consecutive days. Let me know if you have any questions."
 
So there you have it! Our path going forward. Of course, I have already been on him once, had a pro do a training ride on him, and have our first lesson post-surgery scheduled for tonight. I have a lot of thoughts swirling around my brain - a few non-cohesive, barely formed blog posts in there - but between traveling for work, getting sick, and ripping out our kitchen, life has been an exercise in controlled chaos. Plus, no media, as per usual. Mea culpa.



12 comments:

  1. Great news!! I'm so happy for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love getting comments like 'I would expect this guy to do great!'from top-rated equine surgeons. Gives me the warm and fuzzies :)

      Delete
  2. How COOL - thanks for sharing the new X-ray! And what an awesome team of vets they sound like. Yay for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yasssssss!!!!!!! What excellent news, my fingers are so seriously crossed that you can finally get some smoother sailing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad his prognosis is so awesome! I'm excited for riding recaps and pics soon too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent! Glad things continue to go well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome!!! So cool to see the X-rays side by side.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! I'm so glad they are happy with his progress and expect him to do well. Thanks for sharing the x-rays. That is so cool to see the difference.

    Sorry about you getting sick and having to rip the kitchen out. Was the kitchen a planned thing or was it because of something wrong?? I hope it's just a remodel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Which surgery did you do? Was it the interspinous ligament desmotomy? My boy was diagnosed today and they want to do the surgery tomorrow. Would love to know he might expect as good as result as Boca!

    ReplyDelete