Thursday, June 16, 2016

In Which Boca Breaks ... Again

When we last left off, Boca was back in training, I had a new instructor, and was starting to get excited about putting some things on the calendar. I started a list of upcoming local unrated H/J shows, hunter paces and was even planning to dip our toes into the world of eventing.

June 5, we went with some friends to the local hunt club's spring hunter pace. Although the day was rainy, we had great fun cantering through the fields and popping over small natural jumps. Boca and I even did our first ditches. Guys - this pony is brave. If I put my leg on and say go - he gives his best.

^ That is us, cantering along at the back of the group.
One of my teammates events with her young homebred TB mare, who she has in training with a local Pro. She was very encouraging of Boca and I trying out eventing, made a suggestion for a friendly upcoming schooling horse trial, and offered to do a joint cross-country schooling lesson with us.

Quick video of us jumping speed bump coops:
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrCTSNduG-8

Don't mind us tripping in the wet footing - it was pouring rain.
I like how it is NBD, we pick right back up, stay focused and jump out of the line.

Unfortunately, all plans came to a screeching halt when Boca came up NQR in his right fore last week.

This is not entirely unexpected. For the last 3-4 weeks, Boca has been coming out slightly NQR. He'll take a weird step or two, but always works out of it, and seems happy to continue. My trainer and I have been keeping an eye on it, but there has been no heat, no swelling, no outward signs of any trauma. It is always ever-so-slight. It makes you wonder if you even saw anything at all. I would describe it as a .5 on a scale of 1 - 5. It has been intermittent, inconsistent, and does not seem to correspond to workload or specific exercise. I was wishfully thinking it was a high nail, a bruise or an abcess, but it didn't resolve and didn't get worse.

Last Wed, it got worse. On the lunge line, going right, at the trot, he definitely had a head bob, which disappeared going left. It wasn't present at all at the canter or the walk.

I have Boca on a 6 week shoeing schedule. He gets a full set of normal shoes. I had my farrier come out at Week 4, to see if he would respond to hoof testers. Based on what I was describing, my farrier didn't think it was a shoeing issue - at least not a high nail or an abcess - but he agreed to come out early anyway.

On Friday, the farrier came out and was unable to get any response to hoof testers. We decided to put him in aluminum shoes with a bit of a rounded toe, to see if it helped matters at all. Farrier told me to let him know how things went. I was hopeful that it might help, but had already planned to have the vet out for an exam.

Unfortunately, the new shoes did not help at all, and actually seemed to make things worse. On Saturday, I tacked him up and brought him to the indoor, which has the softest, pillowy GGT footing. Boca definitely had more of a head bob, and was not working out of it. I got a video to send to the vet, untacked him and put him away.

I haven't ridden in a week and a half. The vet visit is scheduled for Saturday. I'm really, really upset. We were just getting back into the swing of things. Boca was going great. The weather is perfect. And my pony is grounded again.

I'm trying not to project what this might be. Hopefully just another bump in the road.
Maybe now that we have resolved his back issues, there will be a few minor things here and there to manage. I'm trying not to think worst case scenario about all the gnarly things this could be.

I swear I am not a hypochondriac horse mom. I swear I don't have Munchausens-by-Proxy. I just want my horse back, happy and whole. So we can go on to bigger adventures.

21 comments:

  1. first off - he looks AWESOME cantering around over those coops! what a good boy!

    but secondly... Fffffffff. ugh. Boca, c'mon buddy! my fingers are seriously crossed that the NQRness can be resolved easily and quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma! That wasn't even one of our better jumping efforts. By the time anyone thought to get some video, we were practically done.

      Delete
  2. I hope it's something that can be resolved easily. Sounds like you guys have been having a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carey - I am hoping for an easy fix.

      Delete
  3. Crossing my fingers hard he's feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. I went through a whole slew of issues with Tucker recently (as you know) so I can commiserate. Let us know how it goes with the vet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope Boca rebounds from his NQR as well as Tucker did!

      Delete
  5. Don't worry until the vet gives you a reason to worry! It'll be okay :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I'm trying hard not to think of the big bad 'N' word. *LaLaLaLa*

      Delete
  6. Fingers crossed the vet apt gives you answers and that yourself and B can keep the positivity rollig

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh. That's frustrating. I hope you get good news soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. :( Oh no I am so sorry, I hope whatever it is its not a big deal and can easily be resolved.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ugh, I'm so, incredibly sorry to hear this. Don't Google or think about it until you hear from the vet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh - I have swung wildly from "it's NBD" to "my horse needs to be retired". Pretty much covered all scenarios in my head.

      Delete
  10. NO, NO, NO. Boca is not allowed to break again. I forbid it.

    FYI Irish can brew an abscess for weeks! It will be off, on, off on and then OFF and then it bursts. I have my fingers and toes all crossed that that's what it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Maybe he'll listen :)

      I wish it were an abscess, but I don't think it is. He's never had an abcess or thrown a show in the 2+ years I've owned him.

      Delete
  11. Argh, bad Boca! I hope that it's nothing major and he's right as rain soon! I've enjoyed reading along with your comeback and was looking forward to your possible eventing adventure! Here's hoping it's nothing serious and that he's feeling better soon. I'll think good thoughts for Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. NQR is the WORST. I hope the vet is able to give you a firm diagnosis on whatever it is!

    ReplyDelete
  13. :( !@*&#@*& So frustrating. Hope you get some answers soon and it's an easy fix!

    ReplyDelete