Thursday, July 14, 2016

Choices - WWYD?

Having choices is supposed to be a good thing, but sometimes having to choose between two good things can feel like a curse.

I really, really like where I currently board. The facilities are incredible. I really enjoy my fellow boarders; we have a great community and I look forward to going every day. The only drawback is that I have occasionally felt the lack of 'being in a program' under a trainer. Because I am pretty much on my own, I sometimes feel like I am spinning my wheels and not progressing - although part of that could be attributed to Boca's medical issues.

The opportunity has come up to take a full board stall at a barn close to my work. The co-trainers onsite, from what I can tell, are friendly and positive, and go out and do tons of fun things as a group. One trainer has evented to the Intermediate level. The other has a Hunter/Jumper background, but is dipping her toe in the eventing world and finding she likes it. The barn goes to many schooling jumper shows, local H/J shows, cross-country schooling and horse trials. They are even hosting clinics with some fairly well-known riders.

I feel really torn. I really enjoy where I am, and would really miss the people I interact with on a daily basis. I would miss the incredible facilities.

On the other hand, I have the opportunity to potentially join a team that seems to really get out and do lots of things together as a group.

I guess I am afraid to give up a really good thing, and take a chance on the unknown.
What if I don't like it as much as where I am now? What if I uproot Boca and myself and I'm not as happy as where I am now?

I have a lesson scheduled with the Eventing trainer tomorrow at 9 AM. I am going to ship Boca over and see how we do there. Hopefully, once we are there together, onsite, I will have a better idea of whether or not it is the right fit for us.



 


12 comments:

  1. I think the idea of taking on on-site lesson is PERFECT. That way you can see the facility and use it and get a feel for the whole thing (plus see if you like the trainer!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Tracy. The lesson is a perfect way to test the waters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think having a "trial lesson" with the potential new trainer is a great idea!

    I don't mean to be pessimistic in any way, shape or form, I'm just throwing this out into the universe...but what are your competitive goals with Boca, provided he stays sound? Do you see yourself showing a lot? Or do you prefer to show occasionally and toodle with him in a more relaxed atmosphere? Will you feel left out at the new barn if (god forbid) Boca goes lame again and you can't ride/show? I don't know that I would choose to uproot yourself and Boca from your currently wonderful barn just to have a regular trainer, especially since you have access to a truck and trailer. Can you stay where you are, and have regular haul-in lessons at this other barn? Just something to think about. I would definitely suggest taking your personal and competitive goals into consideration when making this decision, the right choice will work itself out. (I also hope that didn't come out as bitchy or condescending, I absolutely did not mean it that way).

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the input! Your comment did not come across as pessimistic in any way shape or form. Actually, you had some great suggestions and made some really good points.

      I guess my dilemma is... I'm not sure how competitive I truly am. I mean, I want to improve, and I do want to go do fun activities. I don't want to fool myself into thinking I want something that, deep down, I really don't.

      Great feedback.

      Delete
  4. Or the biggest question: does the new barn have an indoor?

    The lesson is a great idea! Hope the barn is exactly what you're looking for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New barn does have an indoor. Having an indoor is pretty much non-negotiable at this point.

      Delete
  5. Lots to consider. I had all the same thoughts as Jenn. To be very very honest- I'm not sure I would with Boca. I worry that he couldn't stand up to the intensity of it and/or you would get frustrated with lack of progress.

    Those are just some things to think about. You could sit down and write out what you want to do with Boca and what's realistic and the the place that is best will fall in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to mis-represent New Barn; they are not a show barn and definitely not high intensity competitive. I did tour the barn on Monday, met both trainers and some students and asked all the questions. I was very frank about Boca's medical issues and how we only want to do low-level, speed bump height stuff :)

      Delete
  6. Like a few others have said, think about what you want to do in terms of goals or not goals. It sounds like you have a great barn already and if you can still trailer over for occasional lessons and then have fun playing with the other boarders at your current barn, then it's a good fit. But if you are looking to show more, then getting into a program would be a better fit for that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would there be a little possibility of returning to your current barn if things didn't go as planned? In answer to your WWYD, I'd take the risk on the new barn!

    Our setup in NZ is far away from what seems to be the norm in America. We don't really have barns, and certainly not with boarders on training programs. It's something I'm always envious (not in a wish it was me, not you - but in a wish I could join you way!) and so I understand the feeling of wanting to participate in a barn environment like the latter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I say test out the waters with the trainer's before moving, you can always get on the waitlist if the stall gets taken and just continue to trailer in :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with the trial ride! For me, the number one factor in a barn is that the resources available to me are aligned with my personal goals with my horse. A great atmosphere and environment is a close second, tho it occasionally slips into first depending on my mood. But basically what really matters is that I can do the things I want to do with my horse. Good luck deciding!

    ReplyDelete