Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Getting Ready for Retirement


Boca has spent the last few weeks getting ready for retirement.
As you may suspect, he is handling it quite well.


In one of those weird twists of fate, which makes me think that maybe the universe does have a grand plan for us, Boca has an awesome new home lined up.


The same week that I broke the news to my old trainer that I was retiring Boca, an acquaintance reached out to her looking for a second horse. The woman had recently purchased a small farm, was moving her horse home, and needed a companion. She preferred an adoption type situation for a horse in need, but hoped to get a horse large enough, sound enough and sane enough to do an occasional trail ride with her husband.

My old trainer connected the two of us; we have had many phone discussions, S has been down to visit Boca, and it looks like a done deal.

In the next 30 days, Boca will be going to live with S and her horse on their private farm. He'll have his own 1 acre grass paddock, with 24-7 turnout and a stall for inclement weather. I have released all of Boca's medical records to S, and am putting together a 'Boca fact sheet' for any and all Boca-related information.

S and I have some weird parallels in our lives - including being on the same island, staying in the same hotel. Two years ago, we went on the same hunter pace. I was directly behind her, and when her friend's hackamore broke, I offered a piece of my costume to repair it. It is weird how lives intersect.

So, that is the plan. Boca will be with me for the next 30 days. When S's new farm is ready, I will ship Boca down to S to start his new life. I will get to hand the lead rope over, and watch him walk off into the sunset with his new person.

I am actually ok with all of this. I know I am making the right decision for Boca. I am retiring a healthy, happy horse, that will go on to have a great life with new job description.

 

14 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds so perfect. I'm so happy he's got such a sweet gig lined up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts exactly! Sounds like a perfect fit for him. Sending hugs, I know this isn't easy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm back to bloggerland. Sorry to hear. I'm glad the situation worked out so well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like things are falling into place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a fantastic connection! So glad you found this resolution for him. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like the perfect home for him. At least that helps validate you making all the right choices for the little red guy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...what a prefect deal. So glad you have a great plan lined up for him. He's a lucky guy to have found you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That worked out like it had been scripted for a movie! I'm so happy for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic situation for all of you! I'm so glad it's working out so well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it when a plan come together!

    What an idyllic situation to come from something that was hard. Boca sounds like he has another fab carer lined up to follow all the brilliant work you have done for him.

    Enjoy the next 30 days & hopefully they'll keep in touch and/or you can visit from time to time

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry you had to retire Boca, but what an awesome retirement plan!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is amazing news! What a perfect retirement plan :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It seems like it was meant to be, even if not the plan you were hoping for originally. He'll be so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awwww I'm so glad this all lined up and you will be able to keep in touch with his life <3

    ReplyDelete