Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Not Where I Thought This Road Would Lead

On July 26, Boca came up lame again in his RF. My regular vet was preparing to go on vacation and would be out of the country for a few weeks. Before he left, he recommended the next step would be to inject both Navicular Bursas. After that, we have exhausted all diagnostic tools available in the field. The next step would be an MRI.

I was very stressed about the financial implications of another round of injections, and worried that the coffin joint injections provided relief for only 4-6 weeks. In addition, Boca has been on daily Previcox, plus the loading dose of Pentosan, with no improvement.

While my vet was away, I decided to have a 2nd vet review Boca's records and x-rays.
I got the phone call Monday morning. This vet's interpretation of the x-rays was that Boca shows extensive bone remodeling in his RF. In her opinion, it is significant for a horse of his age, and has progressed rapidly in the 2 years since his pre-purchase exam.

In her evaluation, Boca will not stay sound at his current work level. Her opinion is that he is more suited to a light riding/pleasure home.

With this input, I have made the decision to retire Boca. 

I am not sure what our next steps will be. If the right situation came along, I would place him in a pleasure/trail home.



So, this closes the chapter on our hopes and dreams and plans. Not where I thought this road would lead.

32 comments:

  1. :( I'm so sorry to read this. Horses are extremely frustrating and heartbreaking at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am heartbroken. I have cried buckets of tears.

      Delete
  2. Oh, no. I am so incredibly sorry to hear this :-( It takes a strong person to make this choice, and I am in awe of your love for Boca. Just know you are never, ever alone. Sending all my love to you both <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. He's a good boy, he deserves the best.

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry. What a heartbreaker. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Definitely a heartbreaker for sure.

      Delete
  4. Oh no! I'm so sorry. Boca is a lucky horse to have landed with you. Fingers crossed that you can find a good place for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. He'll stay with me until the right situation comes along. He is still sound enough to trail ride.

      Delete
  5. I don't even know what to say.
    I'm so very sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Horses are heartbreaking sometimes.

      Delete
    2. Thanks. Horses are heartbreaking sometimes.

      Delete
  6. I am so very sorry to hear that. You've done your absolute best for him, and it's sad when even modern medicine cannot help them.

    I hope you find the perfect situation for him - and for you as well. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I wish I could fix him. But it doesn't look that way and I know he'll be happy as a trail pony.

      Delete
  7. *hugs*
    So sorry to read this, you have done the best by him to date and have no doubt you will continue to put him first and treat him like the king he is. *more-hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I want to do right by him. Someone somewhere along the line didn't. Pretty sure that's why he ended up at auction.

      Delete
  8. Oh man, I'm so sorry it had to end like this. Sometimes it just doesn't work out even when you've tried everything there is to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. I thought we'd be at this point much later in his life, but it wasn't meant to be.

      Delete
  9. :( I am so sorry, this sucks *big hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I'm so sorry it ended up like this. You have done everything you possibly could for him and more. He is lucky to be loved by you. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carey. He's a pretty good dude. He deserves someone to make choices based on his well being.

      Delete
  11. I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope you find some peace in knowing you did everything right by him and everything you could for him. I hope that you find the ideal situation for both of you :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I will definitely keep an eye out for just the right situation, but I am not in any rush. A few key people I know and trust know that he is available to a pleasure/light riding home only.

      Delete
  12. Sending big hugs :( You did everything possible to make Boca sound and I'm heartbroken to hear that things have turned out this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It definitely was a heartbreaker, but the lame-not-lame game was really no fun either.

      Delete
  13. Oh no! I'm glad you're willing to do the right thing for him, but that is absolutely crushing. I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm glad I can put a good plan in place for him.

      Delete
  14. i'm so sorry :( just so so sorry, this is not where i thought things would go either

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I thought we had years of adventures together ahead of us :(

      Delete
  15. I'm so sorry. Horses just break your heart, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so sorry. I was worried about this. You've done so much right for this horse and it's just not fair. Retirement is the right answer. Good luck and please keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sorry to hear this. The good news is, he had you to care for him and try everything in your power to help him. You're did everything you could :/

    ReplyDelete