On July 26, Boca came up lame again in his RF. My regular vet was preparing to go on vacation and would be out of the country for a few weeks. Before he left, he recommended the next step would be to inject both Navicular Bursas. After that, we have exhausted all diagnostic tools available in the field. The next step would be an MRI.
I was very stressed about the financial implications of another round of injections, and worried that the coffin joint injections provided relief for only 4-6 weeks. In addition, Boca has been on daily Previcox, plus the loading dose of Pentosan, with no improvement.
While my vet was away, I decided to have a 2nd vet review Boca's records and x-rays.
I got the phone call Monday morning. This vet's interpretation of the x-rays was that Boca shows extensive bone remodeling in his RF. In her opinion, it is significant for a horse of his age, and has progressed rapidly in the 2 years since his pre-purchase exam.
In her evaluation, Boca will not stay sound at his current work level. Her opinion is that he is more suited to a light riding/pleasure home.
With this input, I have made the decision to retire Boca.
I am not sure what our next steps will be. If the right situation came along, I would place him in a pleasure/trail home.
So, this closes the chapter on our hopes and dreams and plans. Not where I thought this road would lead.