Friday, September 23, 2016

First Time Ride

Guys! I rode my pony! And nobody died!!! 

Yup, he is pretty much asleep 

I wasn't expecting to get on Crimson so soon. I figured we would ease into lunging him under saddle, then *maybe* I would get on him this weekend. No rush.

Although I kind of wondered how much lunging I could take, seeing as he already seemed bored, and I was tired from running around, waving my lunge whip in the air, trying to encourage him.

In fact, I actually asked my trainer to lunge him yesterday to see if she could make it a little more organized.

Trotting over poles, NBD
Yes, he really is that big.

I was definitely surprised when she told me to grab my helmet and get on. No multiple days of lunging under tack. No trainer ride.

So I did. 

First, she had me climb on mounting block next to him and jump around a bit. Nothing. Then, we slapped the stirrup leathers on the saddles on both sides. Nothing. So then I put my weight in the left stirrup and lay across his back. Crickets.

So, with that, I swung on. I kept my seat light at first, until we were sure he was truly ok with me up there. And he was.

Guys, he was PERFECT. Halt, walk, trot in both directions. He has a lovely mouth - like buttah. He seems to already understand half-halts from body and seat (Probably because slow and stop are his favorite speeds. He doesn't need much encouragement).

It was so weird to see his thick double-sided mane in front of me. He has a lovely rolling stride. Like being on a big ship on the ocean.

I was so thrilled with our first ride. I think we are going to have a lot of fun together.

All the pats for the best boy.


11 comments:

  1. He is so freaking cute!!! I totally have a thing of chestnuts :)
    I'm glad the riding was a non issue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like it was meant to be

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww I love that thick double sided mane look too!!! <3 this is so awesome - you look great on him too!!! I wish my guy had that soft mouth, he is more of a leaner still. But it's all good. We love the journey right!?! So happy the first ride was so awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! That's wonderful. You two look great together :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yahoo! I'm just so excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw yay I am so excited for you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY! You're going to have so much fun with him!

    ReplyDelete